Read/review the following resources for this activity:
- Textbook: Chapter 2
- Minimum of 1 scholarly source
Initial Post Instructions
If art lacks a clear definition, what criteria are used to determine what a work of art is? Please look at several works on any museum website to discuss what constitutes “art.” Some major museums include the Metropolitan Museum of Art, Art Institute of Chicago, or National Gallery of Art, or consider finding a local museum. The permanent collection is normally under the Collections link, but feel free to explore the entire website for your selection.
For the initial post, address the following:
- What approaches should we take in responding to a work of art?
- Select an example of art that fits your definition of art and provide an example of non-art (either from the site or in the world around you).
- Determine how line, color, texture, and/or composition are part of your definition.
Follow-Up Post Instructions
Respond to at least two peers or one peer and the instructor. Further the dialogue by providing more information and clarification.
- Minimum of 3 posts (1 initial & 2 follow-up)
- Minimum of 2 sources cited (assigned readings/online lessons and an outside source)
- APA format for in-text citations and list of references
HUMN303N Week 1 Discussion 2: What Is a Work of Art?
What approaches should we take in responding to a work of art?
My definition of art is a creation by one’s vision of beauty. To some, it’s darkness or shapes or realism. Art is all about perspective, in my opinion. According to Jacobus and Martin (2019), three criteria can determine what is considered art. As mentioned before in my definition, the criterion to be deemed artwork is intended to be made by the creator. Also, the painting is recognized as art by art experts. This method of identifying qualifying artwork has some apparent flaws in its criteria. The most obvious drawback is that this method does not allow for the perspective of any other artist other than the so-called experts. For that reason, Jacobus and Martin (2019) added the perception of art into the criteria. They described our perception of what we observe, and our preconception of art could also identify works of art. After this, it is clear to me, and I’m sure many others, that our response to art should be…Please click the icon below to purchase the full answer at only $5.