The purposes of this assignment are to: (a) identify and articulate leadership styles to support your management of power as the nurse executive at Saint Louis Medical Center (SLMC) (CO 1, 2), (b) compare and contrast organizational structures that may influence the management of power of your role (CO 3), and (c) provide empirical, scholarly evidence to support your assignment in a clear, succinct, and scholarly manner (CO 4).
- This paper will be graded on quality of paper information, use of citations, use of standard grammar, sentence structure, and organization based on the required components.
- Create this assignment using Microsoft (MS) Word, which is the required format for all Chamberlain documents. You can tell that the document is saved as a MS Word document because it will end in .docx.
- Submit to the appropriate assignment area by 11:59 p.m. MT on Sunday of the week due. Any questions about this paper may be discussed in the weekly Q & A discussion topic.
- The length of the paper is to be no greater than three pages, excluding title page and reference page.
- APA format, using most current edition, is required for this assignment, including a title and reference pages. Use APA level 1 headings for the organizational structure of this assignment. Remember that the introduction does not carry a heading that labels it as a level heading in APA format. The first part of your paper is assumed to be the introduction. See the APA manual sixth edition for details. Use the suggested format and headings to organize your assignment.
- Include introduction and discuss power (do not label as a heading in APA format)
- Leadership styles
- Organizational structures
Preparing the Paper
Note: Use the resources on the assignment page related to SLMC to assist in completion of this assignment, as required.
- Clearly introduce your assignment and discuss power in the introduction paragraph. Include a sentence that states the purpose of your paper.
- Clearly identify and articulate leadership styles (at least two) to support your management of power in your role as the nurse executive at SLMC. State how power would be wielded in each and which you prefer; including your rationale.
- Clearly compare and contrast the effect of organizational structures (at least two structures) that may influence how you manage power at SLMC. State how power would be wielded in each and which you prefer; including your rationale.
- Include of a minimum of three sources of scholarly, empirical evidence. See resources on the assignment page related to SLMC if you need to review the information.
- Provide concluding statements that should summarize your overall assignment content.
- The paper should be no longer than three pages maximum, excluding title and reference pages.
- Title and reference pages must be in APA format using the sixth edition manual.
- Use 12 point, Times New Roman font and one-inch margins on all sides of the paper.
Management of Power
Being in power as a leader means that one can influence those who emulate them. As a nurse executive, to be in power means to control other junior nursing staff and persuade them to support the efforts intended to achieve a particular goal. The only way a nurse executive can achieve this is by ensuring that they can influence co-workers. Without influence, it is not easy to achieve the long-term desired goal (Manning, 2016). It is proper to identify different leadership styles which nurse executives can employ to manage power effectively. This paper seeks to evaluate different organizational structures and how they affect the health care system and management of governance as a leader. Eventually, this paper aims at helping a researcher to evaluate how control of power as a leader is essential in ensuring that effective service delivery.
Nurse leaders are always entrusted with the power to ensure that all activities are done according to the required standards. At the same time, the leadership power should be used wisely. For leaders to be effective, their actions and performances…Please click the icon below to purchase the full answer at only $10.