- This paper will be graded on quality of information, use of citations, use of Standard English grammar, sentence structure, and organization based on the required components.
- Create this assignment using Microsoft (MS) Word, which is the required format for all Chamberlain documents. You can tell that the document is saved as a MS Word document because it will end in “.docx.”
- Submit to the appropriate assignment area by 11:59 p.m. MT on Sunday of the week due. Any questions about this paper may be discussed in the weekly Q & A Discussion topic.
- The length of the paper is to be approximately three pages, excluding the title page and reference list.
- APA format (current edition) is required in this assignment, including a title page and reference page. Use APA level 1 headings for the organizational structure of this assignment. Remember that the introduction does not carry a heading that labels it as a level heading in APA format. The first part of your paper is assumed to be the introduction. See APA manual for details. See resource under the course Library Guide, “Guidelines for Writing Professional Papers.” Use the suggested format and headings to organize your assignment.
- Include introduction (do not label as a heading in APA format)
- Steps Related to Legal/Regulatory Issue
- State-Board Recovery Program
- Supporting Evidence
Preparing the paper
As the nurse executive of a healthcare organization, it was reported to you that one of your nurses may be chemically impaired (legal/regulatory issue) and has allegedly been taking drugs from the unit. This nurse also had two recent medication errors in the past week. Discuss the steps you would take to validate this allegation and how you would proceed after the allegation was confirmed to be true.
- Clearly introduce your legal/regulatory issue in the introduction paragraph; including a sentence that states the purpose of your paper.
- Clearly articulate the steps you would take as the nurse leader to investigate the allegation of this legal/regulatory issue as stated above and how to proceed when the allegation is confirmed to be true.
- Investigate/research and discuss if your state board of nursing offers some type of recovery program for chemically-impaired nurses (a strategy). If they do not offer a program in your state, discuss a proposed recovery program for chemically-impaired nurses that you would like to have implemented for your state.
Contact a state representative who may have an interest in this topic area and share their comments on this issue in an addendum (not included as part of the three page limit). Include your correspondence eg. Emails in your addendum, as well. This will demonstrate you contacted a state representative, in the event you do not receive a response.
4. Clearly articulate your specific strategies to improve costs and improve the quality of healthcare at your organization related to the legal/regulatory issue stated above. How do your strategies relate to the Person-Centred Nursing Leadership Framework by McCormack and McCance (2017); specifically the contextual domain?
5. Include of a minimum of three sources of scholarly, empirical evidence that supports your strategies to improve costs and quality of healthcare.
6. Provide concluding statements that should summarize your overall assignment content.
7. The paper should be no longer than three pages, excluding title and reference page(s).
8. Title and reference page(s) must be in APA format (current edition).
9. Use 12 Times New Roman font and one-inch margins on all sides of the paper.
Addressing the Issue of a Chemically Impaired Nurse
A nurse with a chemical dependence might seem to be a rather low-probability issue in the nursing setting, yet a closer analysis of the current situation, particularly, in the community under discussion, will show that the threat in question is quite possible. According to the 2021 statistics, it is currently presumed that at least 15% of the total number of healthcare experts in Florida suffer from some form of chemical impairment of varying severity (Toney-Butler & Siela, 2021). Therefore, the observed case, while being an understandably upsetting instance of violating the law and the foundations of healthcare ethics, should be regarded as a symptom of a larger issue within the current Florida healthcare and nursing community. The purpose of this paper is to consider the issue at hand critically and create the strategy that will allow assisting nurses with chemical dependency, as well as minimizing the threat of medical errors caused by the specified demographic.
Therefore, the concern under analysis can be regarded as a twofold problem. Apart from the obvious instance of theft, namely, the fact that the nurse has been taking drugs intended of patients form the unit, one should also point to the fact of drug misuse in the workplace setting. For this reason, two legal policies must be incorporated into the analysis. Specifically, chapter 812 has been violated in the described situation. According…Please click the icon below to purchase the full answer at only $10.