Read/review the following resources for this activity:
- Textbook: Section 7; Integrative Questions for Section 7
- Outside resources are optional; however, you could consider using the course textbook to support your explanation.
The purpose of this assignment is to go beyond the usual social network(s) and realm of understanding in order to build a bridge of understanding about another person from his/her perception about his/her own life experiences in the workplace and or helping professions.
Interview two adults: one adult of a different ethnicity/race than yourself and one adult who is at least 10 years older and/or younger than you. You must choose one person from each category, not the same person. Ask him/her the following questions and document the answers for each interview.
- Document if the person you interviewed is male or female.
- What is your ethnicity/race or age? (Make sure the person is ok with sharing his/her age.)
- What is your level of education?
- What is your occupation?
- Have you ever experienced discrimination in the workplace? How did you feel? How did you react? Please explain what happened.
- During your lifetime, what significant current event have you experienced? (e.g., 911)
- How has this significant event shaped your experiences with others?
After you have the aforementioned interview questions answered, please provide the following regarding your findings:
- Compare and/or contrast the experiences of the person you interviewed to your own. Provide one example. Write an explanation at least two paragraphs in length for each interview. Be sure to address the following questions, along with any additional information your wish to include and/or share:
- What conclusions can you draw from the commonalities?
- How could some of these situations be mediated or resolved (e.g., by the person experiencing the discrimination, by institutions employing those who are discriminating others or dealing with clients/customers who are discriminating against employees).
Please be sure to inform the people you are interviewing in informed his or her responses will be kept confidential and anonymous and thank him or her for the time spent interviewing with you.
Writing Requirements (APA format)
- Length: 3-4 pages (not including title page or references page)
- 1-inch margins
- Double spaced
- 12-point Times New Roman font
- Title page
- References page (as needed)
Personal and professional experiences of each person are shaped not only by their behavior but also by their inherent traits and the surrounding environment. Thus, people from different age categories, races, or genders may encounter various problems during their everyday lives. Two people were interviewed for this paper – a 38-year-old man who immigrated to the United States from Iraq about seven years ago and a 21-year-old Latina woman. The purpose of the conducted interviews was to see the unique experiences of people from different races and age groups in relation to workplace discrimination and the impact of significant historical events.
It is clear that the life stories of the interviewed persons vary significantly from one another and my (the interviewer) personal experience. However, we were also able to find some commonalities in our described events. The first interviewee was a man who described himself as Arab, Iraqi, and Muslim – the three adjectives that helped him to define his race, ethnicity, and religion. He finished a medical college in Iraq, working as a physician before immigrating to the United States. Currently, he also works at a medical organization…Please click the icon below to purchase the full answer at only $10.