Read/review the following resources for this activity:
- Textbook: Chapter 12, 14
- Minimum of 1 scholarly source (in addition to the textbook)
Initial Post Instructions
For the initial post, pick three (3) of the leading causes of the American Civil War:
- The Compromise of 1850
- The Fugitive Slave Law 1850
- Uncle Tom’s Cabin 1852
- The Kansas Nebraska Act 1854
- The Dred Scott Case of 1857
- The Lincoln Douglas Debates 1858
Then, address one (1) of the following for your selections:
- Based on the historical facts given in this module, assess if the American Civil War was inevitable.
- Analyze if the United States Supreme Court can settle legal and moral issues through judiciary review. In your response, provide a documented example of a modern parallel of a legal or moral issue settled by the United States Supreme Court.
Compare your selections and analysis of selections with those of your peers. If they chose different events, examine how yours are similar and/or different. If they chose the same events, build on their posts by providing additional information about the events that you have not already noted in your own post.
- Minimum of 3 posts (1 initial & 2 follow-up)
- APA format for in-text citations and list of references
Some of the causes of the war included the Compromise of 1850, Uncle Tom’s Cabin 1852, and the Dred Scott Case. There was the question of whether the newly created states, resulting from the Louisiana Purchase, would be slaveholding states or Free states (Sipress, 2020). Missouri petitioned for statehood in 1812 and wanted to become a slave state. This request was a problem as it risked offsetting the balance of 11 Free states and 11 slave states which existed at the time. The compromise dictated that Maine would be a free state while Missouri would become a slaveholding state (Corbett et al., 2017). No more slave states could be carved out of Louisiana. Uncle Tom’s Cabin was a novel published in 1852. It had a major impact on the colonists’ attitude towards slavery and African Americans. It helped…Please click the icon below to purchase the full answer at only $5