Read/review the following resources for this activity:
- Textbook: Chapter 17 (section 17.4), 18 (section 18.3), 19 (sections 19.1, 19.2), 21 (sections 21.2, 21.4)
- Minimum of 1 scholarly source (in addition to the textbook)
Initial Post Instructions
For the initial post, pick two (2) of the following categories representing minority groups during 1880-1914:
- Women’s rights activists
- African Americans
- Immigrants from southern and eastern Europe
- Child workers
- Great Plain Indians
Then, address the following for your selections:
- Explain the socio-economic status and challenges of your minority groups at the turn of the century.
- How did the Industrial Revolution affect your chosen minority groups?
- Analyze how the Progressives brought reform to your selected minority groups. Do you find that the Progressives were successful in making government responsive and improve the conditions of your chosen minority group?
Compare your selections and analysis of selections with those of your peers. If they chose different groups, examine how yours are similar and/or different. If they chose the same groups, build on their posts by providing additional information about the groups that you have not already noted in your own post.
- Minimum of 3 posts (1 initial & 2 follow-up)
- APA format for in-text citations and list of references
For this assignment, I chose to focus on the women rights activist and child labor groups. At the turn of the century, the two were subjected to numerous challenges and a harsh socioeconomic status. The number of women and child laborers kept growing by the day (Corbett et al., 2017). Children born working class and lower class parents were faced with poverty and therefore had to work to help the family raise an income. Women laborers were given low wages as compared to their male counterparts (Corbett et al., 2017). Their reasons for joining the workforce were not equality or empowerment but rather financial necessity.
The industrial revolution saw a surge in the number of working…Please click the icon below to purchase the full answer at only $5