Read/review the following resources for this activity:
- Textbook: Chapter 3, 4
- Minimum of 1 scholarly source (in addition to the textbook)
Initial Post Instructions
For the initial post, pick two (2) of the following settlements:
- Southern colonies
- Chesapeake colonies
- Middle colonies
- New England colonies
Then, address the following for your selections:
- Compare and contrast the settlement patterns.
- What forces and ideas shaped their origin?
- Examine the influence of religion for those settlements (e.g., Puritanism, Quakers, and the Anglican Church).
Follow-Up Post Instructions
Compare your selections and analysis of those selections with those of your peers. If they chose different settlements, examine how yours are similar and/or different. If they chose the same settlements, build on their posts by providing additional information about the settlements that you have not already noted in your own post.
- Minimum of 3 posts (1 initial & 2 follow-up)
- APA format for in-text citations and list of references
Chesapeake and Southern colonies relied heavily on farming. However, Southern colonies were considerably wealthier as they farmed more staple crops as compared to the Chesapeake (Schultz, 2018). These included rice, indigo, and tobacco. Chesapeake primarily depended on tobacco, which accounted for 90% of the region’s economy. In both colonies, only a few towns were established. The Southern colonies had two towns while Chesapeake had only one town: Baltimore (Schultz, 2018). The likes of Norfolk only served as small towns. The southern colony did not establish a social leadership structure. Chesapeake colony had an aristocratic structure that resembled the British rural living model. Most of the wealthy…Please click the icon below to purchase the full answer at only $5