The purpose of this discussion is for learners to apply lessons from careful nursing to the original time period and to today’s practice.
This reflection enables the student to meet the following course outcome:
- CO2: Apply lessons from nursing history to today’s professional nursing practice. (PO4)
- Answer post due by Wednesday 11:59 PM MT in Week 3
- Two replies to classmates and/or instructor due by Sunday 11:59 PM MT at the end of Week 3
- Reflection is an activity that involves your deep thought into your own experiences related to the concepts of the week. Answers should be detailed.
- Use the rubric on this page as you compose your answers.
- Scholarly sources are NOT required for this reflection.
Catherine McAuley’s philosophy of careful nursing was applicable in pre-Nightingale times and is still applicable today. Select one of the 10 key concepts of careful nursing. Reflect on how that concept might have been applied in McAuley’s time and how it is applied in your professional nursing practice today.
The concept of contagious calmness reflects the presence of a calm state even in a crisis. It projects to the patients and others in the surrounding environment (Judd & Sitzman, 2014). . It is seen through a soothing voice or being gentle with other people and it makes nurses be seen as people with a quiet confidence in the changing needs of patients and practice situation.
Careful nursing originated during a time of oppression, poverty, and famine, and the human population was constantly hit with chronic illnesses and epidemics. At the time, nursing had been rendered almost non-existent, and therefore, McAuley sought to reestablish it.,,Please click the icon below to purchase the full answer at only $5