This week’s graded topic relates to the following Course Outcome (CO).
CO6: Plans clinical practice activities that integrate professional nursing standards in accordance with the Nursing Code of Ethics and the ANA standards of practice (PO#6).
- Answer post due by Wednesday 11:59 PM MT in Week 4
- Two replies to classmates and/or instructor due by Sunday 11:59 PM MT at the end of Week 4
- Discussions are designed to promote dialogue between faculty and students, and students and their peers. In discussions students:
- Demonstrate understanding of concepts for the week
- Integrate scholarly resources
- Engage in meaningful dialogue with classmates
- Express opinions clearly and logically, in a professional manner
- Use the rubric on this page as you compose your answers.
Go to the link https://www.thinkculturalhealth.hhs.gov/clas/standards (Links to an external site.).
View the National Culturally and Linguistically Appropriate Services Standards (CLAS) categories aimed at equity and quality care (HHS, n.d.). Notice how these standards overlap with many of the expectations and standards in professional nursing practice!
- In what ways are you and your peers using these standards in your areas of nursing practice?
- Discuss one nursing action you might incorporate to improve cultural competence in your organization.
The National Culturally and Linguistically Appropriate Services (CLAS) Standards promote culturally-competent care by guiding healthcare professionals towards the provision of effective, understandable, equitable, and respectful quality care services that are receptive to diverse cultures including health beliefs, languages, practices, literacy, etc. In our practice, we integrate the CLAS standards in many different ways (The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), n.d). Among them is providing patient-centered care (PCC). Through this care model, we ensure that we respect the patients’/families’ values, practices, beliefs, and preferences about health care. For instance, we allow the patients to choose whether to be served by a male or a female nurse…Please click the icon below to purchase the full answer at only $5