Read/review the following resources for this activity:
- Textbook: Chapter 1 (All Sections), 2 (Sections 2.5 – 2.7)
- Minimum of 1 scholarly source
Initial Post Instructions
When data is collected, the most common calculations computed are the Measures of Central Tendency, mean, median and mode. It is important to know how to compute these values and it is also extremely important to know what these values mean in context of the data set.
Use the internet to find a data set. Key terms to search: Free Public Data Sets and Medical Data Sets.
- Introduce your Data Set and Cite the Source.
- Why was this data interesting to you?
- Calculate measures of central tendency (Mean, Median & Mode) and measures of variation (Range and Standard Deviation) for your data. Write a sentence for each calculation explaining what that value means in context of your data.
Follow-Up Post Instructions
Respond to at least two peers or one peer and the instructor. Further the dialogue by providing more information and clarification.
Here are suggested responses.
- What did you find interesting/surprising about the descriptive statistics in your peer’s post?
- Complete a Compare/Contrast with your data set and a similar data set that was presented by a peer.
- Minimum of 3 posts (1 initial & 2 follow-up)
- APA format for in-text citations and list of references
This activity will be graded using the Discussion Grading Rubric. Please review the following link:
- Link (webpage): Discussion Guidelines
Course Outcomes (CO): 1
Due Date for Initial Post: By 11:59 p.m. MT on Wednesday
Due Date for Follow-Up Posts: By 11:59 p.m. MT on Sunday
In these strange times, we find ourselves faced by significant issues such as the pandemic and racism. I really wanted to select a data set that touched on either of the two issues. The Federal Bureau of Investigates collects and records information on various types of crimes recorded across the country. For instance, it collects information on human trafficking, hate crimes, cargo theft, use of force, and other crimes in the country. Owing to my interest in racism, I selected the data set on hate crime and will discuss the measures of central tendency using data on hate crime as motivated by ancestry…Please click the icon below to purchase the full answer at only $5.